Birmingham Ikon Gallery

Birmingham Ikon Gallery

45.00

Hand-cast, solid concrete sculpture of the Birmingham Ikon Gallery. This limited-edition piece will stand on a flat surface such as mantlepiece or windowsill. Perfect for art and architecture lovers to celebrate one of the city’s finest victorian buildings

Material: Cast concrete.

Size: 25cm high x 16cm wide.

Weight: 1.2 Kg.

Edition size: 200

Quantity:
Add To Cart

BIRMINGHAM IKON GALLERY: JOHN HENRY CHAMBERLAIN - 1877

The Ikon Gallery is an English gallery of contemporary art, located in Brindleyplace, Birmingham. It is housed in the Grade II listed, neo-gothic former Oozells Street Victorian Board School, designed by John Henry Chamberlain in 1877.

Birmingham architects Martin & Chamberlain, responsible for over forty of the Birmingham board schools, designed the building and it opened on 28 January 1878 to serve 807 primary children.

In 1976 the tower was demolished on safety grounds. The building became a college and then a furniture store for Birmingham City Council before being condemned for demolition. It had a last-minute reprieve as the contract for demolition was being agreed and reopened in 1998 as the Ikon Gallery. The refurbishment work was designed by Levitt Bernstein, who reinstated the building's tower to match the original designs.